This is an online Bible study updated every other day. If you aren’t in the habit of regular Bible reading, give it a try. Worst case scenario: You spend a little time reading the most popular book of all time. Best case scenario: It changes your life. Forever.
Each posting will have a link to the chapter(s) for that day. Clicking the link will open a new window to BibleGateway.com. The default is to the New International Version of the Bible, but you can select other versions such as well.
It is always a good idea to start by asking God to open your mind to the truths you’ll be reading from his Word. Regardless of how much you know about the Bible, you can get a lot out of it by reading as little as a chapter and following a few simple steps (I picked these up from a sermon by James MacDonald):
- What portion stands out to you? Why? (Don’t just focus on what you don’t understand, think about the things you do understand.)
- Is there an example for me to follow or a duty to perform?
- Is there an error for me to avoid?
- Is there a promise for me to claim?
- Is there a sin for me to confess?
- Plan it – make a plan for how you will use it
- Pray it – pray scripture back to God
- Share it – it will help others and help you to remember it
Click here for some more Bible study tips.
This blog will consist of roughly 95% posts on specific chapters of the Bible. I plan to have something posted every other day, including Sundays and holidays. The other 5% will be cross-posts here and at the 4Simpsons Blog on the following topics:
- How the Bible was put together
- The reliability of the Bible: Can we trust it?
- Tips on reading the Bible
These posts will appear on the in-between days.
Some of you may already be convinced of the reliability of the Bible and are just here for the study, which is great. And I do believe the Word of God has the power to stand on its own. Many people have been converted by just reading the Bible itself.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Yet I didn’t become a believer until I had worked through a lot of tough questions about why this book was something I could rely upon to tell me the truth of life and about God.
Having said that, if your time is limited and you have to make a choice between reading something I (or some other human) wrote versus reading the Bible, always pick the Bible.